26 December 2012

America's Real Problem


The government has supplanted the father. The "expert's" solution is an abject failure of epic proportions. This is just one of the resulting "fruits of victory" in the left's culture war against the traditional American family.

In every state, the portion of families where children have two parents, rather than one, has dropped significantly over the past decade. Even as the country added 160,000 families with children, the number of two-parent households decreased by 1.2 million. Fifteen million U.S. children, or 1 in 3, live without a father, and nearly 5 million live without a mother. In 1960, just 11 percent of American children lived in homes without fathers.

America is awash in poverty, crime, drugs and other problems, but more than perhaps anything else, it all comes down to this, said Vincent DiCaro, vice president of the National Fatherhood Initiative: Deal with absent fathers, and the rest follows.

How very sad.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

As a teacher I wholeheartedly agree with this - I find that it is rare that there is a father in the home, and they even more rarely are involved in their children's education (conferences, etc.) With freedom comes responsibility - if you are free to have as many children as you want then you have a responsibility to be a father.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

The evidence and statistics regarding fatherhood is overwhelming. Close to 20 years ago, I read a book that I believe was titled, "Fatherless America" - it was quite sobering. 12 years as a Magistrate in the Virginia court system also opened my eyes. Moreover, my own father left our home when I was 12, so I have very real experience in this matter.

Lindsay said...

Yes, my father left as well but I was older...my sisters weren't though and they had a harder road. I often wonder how much of that hardship was due to what happened between our parents. It always has an impact, that's for sure.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I'm a firm believer in the benefits of a traditional, married, two parent home. Yes, I know, that is not always possible and doesn't always guarantee stability and children with healthy worldviews, etc, but study after study has proven it is the best overall environment for raising well-adjusted children. I, along with my siblings, turned out "relatively" well ;o), but only because of a good stepfather and great grandparents. Of course, Christ turned my life around when I was in my early twenties - but even that was made possible, in part, by my parents and grandparents.