15 December 2012

Confederate General William Mahone's Letter To My Great-Great Grandfather

Mahone after the WBTS

In a previous post, I discussed a little history about my great-great grandfather, Benjamin F. Williams. Grandpa Williams was a Virginia State Senator from Nottoway County and political nemesis of Virginia Governor and former Confederate General, William Mahone. Below is a letter from Mahone to my grandfather dated October 27, 1880. You can click on the image to enlarge it, but it is still a little difficult to read. I've typed the text below the image.


Confidential                                                                                      Richmond VA
                                                                                                         October 27, 1880

My Dear Senator

                          There is here a representative of the Nat'l Republican Party who desires to see you and the other most influential honored (?) man in your county, who purpose to vote for Garfield and has requested me to ask that you and the other (?) man shall come to Richmond by the first train after receipt of this and call on him at the Capitol Hotel and Whig office and in this I hope you will not fail.

                                                                                                         Hastily Yours

Senator B F Williams                                                                      Wm Mahone
                     Nottoway VA


Mahone was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1881 and aligned himself with the Republicans and President Garfield. I do not know whether or not my grandfather accepted the invitation to come to Richmond, though I have my doubts as he had suffered political persecution at the hand of the Mahone machine in prior years due to his steadfast, albeit sometimes lonely, opposition to Mahone. More to come.

No comments: