07 February 2013

I'm A Libertarian

Yep, the star represents where my political philosophy resides. You can take your own political "temperature" here. By the way, a "centrist" is someone who doesn't have the guts to say what he believes or, just as likely, doesn't know what he believes. Though I usually think of myself as a conservative, I've been aware of the fact that I have a very strong libertarian streak in me for some time. I blame that on my grandfather, the Allman Brothers, and Jesus. Yeah, I know. It's complicated. I would, nonetheless, still consider many of my views in line with "Burkean Conservatism", i.e., "the principles of true politics are those of morality enlarged" and especially Burke's notion that, society is "a contract between God and man and between all the generations of men within history—the past, present, and unborn generations." That explains my utter disdain for faddish and politically correct perspectives regarding history and those who embrace them to get "better gigs" and concern over how they're viewed by academia and a decadent popular culture. As far as I'm concerned, the more out of step one is with popular culture, the healthier one is - physically, mentally, and spiritually. That also probably explains why my "star" is at the right edge of the spectrum. Quite an interesting intellectual exercise.
Edmund Burke

So take the survey and let us know what your temperature is.

10 comments:

13thBama said...

Im right on the "t" in Libertarian! Who knew?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Aha, you're to my left. ;-)

The History Book Guy said...

Yeah, I got "Libertarian" too (I think this quiz is rigged; Ha!). I've always described myself as a conservative-leaning independent.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

In a general sense, "Libertarian" is a classical liberal which I think, at its root, means "leave me alone."

StaceyJeannette said...

I'm above the "ri" in libertarian. "Leave me alone" is exactly how I feel. LOL.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I think a lot of folks, not even realizing it, agree with that sentiment.

Cotton Boll Conspiracy said...

This is good post; a lot of people are likely libertarian without realizing it. I knew I was probably a libertarian many years ago when I realized I had no wish to try and control the lives of others. It may seem simplistic, but I think it does harken back to the concept of "leave me alone and I'll leave you alone."

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

CBC - it is, I believe, the most intellectually consistent, logical, and "peaceful" political philosophy I've ever studied.

"a lot of people are likely libertarian without realizing it."

I think you're right. But then they let education get in their way and screw every thing up. ;-)

ropelight said...

I found several of the options troublsome, on 3 of the questions it was necessary to select a decidedly unrepresentative response as the best fit.

Anyhoo, I'm a conservative. My star is directly above the "c" in conservative halfway to the obtuse angle.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Rope - yeah, the choices were a bit lame on some of the questions.