18 February 2013

Metal Detecting Post #95 - Colonial Intrigue


One of the sites I've recently been metal detecting in search of artifacts has turned up some intriguing colonial period items. I've already posted some comments about the 1801 Large Cent I found last year and, just last week, I returned to this site. The area boasts a spring which produces 70 gallons a minute and has a structure built around it that dates to the 18th century. The site is also close to an area that served as a winter Confederate camp, which is what drew me to it in the first place. Since I first came across this site, I've discovered from looking on some 19th century maps that there was once a business located here, as well as at least one home. (I assumed as much about the home, due to the bold spring). It is in a rather remote area of the Shenandoah Valley.

The site is very difficult to metal detect due to the presence of a lot of iron, not to mention an electric cattle fence which disrupts the function of the metal detector. Nonetheless, I continue to recover and preserve a few 18th and 19th century artifacts and, slowly, learn about what occurred and existed at the site over 200 years ago. Below are a couple of images of what I recovered last week - part of a colonial shoe buckle. Initial research indicates it dates to the late 1700's, early 1800's.



No comments: