09 March 2013

Providence & Pirates

- Due to some technical issues with Blogger and the images in the post, I had to delete the original post of "Providence & Pirates" and re-post the text. In that process, I lost all comments. My apologies.

I've always been fascinated with pirates and shipwrecks. As a boy, I loved the old Disney movies adapted from Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and Kidnapped, as well as Disney's adaptation of Swiss Family Robinson. Adventure, history, treasure, and pirates - what could be more captivating to the imagination of a young boy? That fascination nurtured my interest in history and has continued and become even more intriguing as I've gained yet more interest in artifact recovery and archaeology. Several trips to the Caribbean (including my recent trip to the Dominican Republic) in recent years has encouraged these interests even further, particularly an interest in 18th and 19th century maritime history. And the books I've read in recent months reveals my growing fascination with the topic. 

Among those titles are The Republic of Pirates, Lost Gold of the Republic, and the one I'm currently reading, Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea. All of these are quite fascinating books and I would highly recommend any of them for lovers of history and good stories. The Lost Gold of the Republic is my favorite and involves some Civil War history as well. At some point, I intend to write a full review of that title, though it, as well as the others, has been out for several years. 

So, with my recent trip to the DR, my current reading, my interest in maritime history and archaeology, pirates, etc. - (AND my interest in guns), the article I stumbled across this morning was (due to the fact it includes elements of all of the above), quite providential. 

The article, "The Tools of the Trade Winds: The Guns of Blackbeard", was linked from Lew Rockwell's site this morning. Here's a brief excerpt:
The archeological excavations of the Queen Ann’s Revenge continues to this day, with some believing that the bulk of the recoverable artifacts have already been found. The era of piracy primarily carried out in Caribbean waters began around 1560, but for the most part died out around the 1720s.

On November 22, 1718, Blackbeard was tracked down by the Royal Navy at Ocracoke Inlet, North Carolina and following a bloody fight was killed. It ended his career obviously, but also signaled the beginning of the end for large scale pirating activities in the Eastern Americas.

 You can read the complete piece here. Very interesting.

No comments: