26 March 2013

Update On Stomping Jesus' Name

*Update: The "professor" is Vice Chairman of the Palm Beach County Democratic Party. Man, I'm sure glad our college classrooms haven't been politicized and aren't being used to indoctrinate students with leftist dogma. I'm so grateful for the academics who constrantly reassure us all that such talk is just nonsense - a boogie-man created by right-wingers. But, I suppose we should be grateful that at least the professor wasn't using any of David Barton's material and that neo-Confederates aren't in control of the class.

Oh, this is just becoming way too easy. Here's the latest.

End of update.

In an earlier post, I pointed readers to an article and video about a university in Florida and their attempt at indoctrination which was resisted by a student. (How dare he!) After being exposed, the school seemed to back off and apologize. But now they're doubling down on the student who dared object to being brainwashed in the classroom inquisition. Here's the latest:

“We believe the university punished him in retaliation for him exposing the class assignment to the public,” Sasser said. “Sadly, it is a testimony to the indoctrination that some of the public schools and universities are engaging in – to demonize anything that was valuable in the culture.”
And . . .

“The textbook reveals the agenda,” he said. “So-called intellectual enlightenment is stomping on everything that has held western civilization together for the past 2,000 years.”
And . . .

“These are the new secular disciples of ‘diversity’ and ‘tolerance’ – empty buzzwords that make liberals and progressives feel good while they often refuse to tolerate and sometimes even assault traditional Christian and conservative beliefs,” Kengor said.
And . . .

“It also reflects the rising confidence and aggression of the new secularists and atheists, especially at our sick and surreal modern universities,” he said.

The part highlighted above is just some of what I (and many others) have been pointing out for years and which certain academics and educators used to come here and challenge. That was before the "anecdotal" evidence became a bit overwhelming. I guess those folks now realize I'm right and they're too ashamed to admit it. Or maybe they knew the truth all along and are just complicit?


Michael Lynch said...

Well, I can't speak for everybody who complained about "anecdotal evidence," but when I complained about it, my disagreement was with blanket denunciations of primary and secondary teachers. I didn't deny anything about college and university faculty tending toward liberalism, since it's pretty common knowledge that higher ed faculty does indeed tend to lean left.

As of 2009 there were about three million primary and middle school teachers in the U.S. You could name a different hard-left, indoctrination-bent schoolteacher every day of the year, and you'd still have a few hundred out of millions. It's like saying that sending your kid to church is likely to result in him or her being abused based on what the NY Times and CNN publish about ministers who abuse children. I don't like it when liberals make blanket statements about abusive clergy for the same reason I don't like it when people make blanket statements about teachers who are out to brainwash kids.

The name-stomping incident happened in a college classroom, so it's not terribly relevant to the point I was trying to make about primary and secondary teachers, but here's my take on it. From what I've read online, the prof got the idea from a textbook exercise in which students would be asked to step on the paper with the understanding that they would be reluctant to do so. Their reluctance was then meant to prompt a discussion about why certain words or names are more potent than others. The clown who teaches the class apparently decided to turn it into a mandatory exercise in desecration, and the student has quite rightly been exonerated by the school.

By the way, the reason I've been quiet lately is because I just haven't been reading the blog. I stopped by today because I was curious to see if you'd responded to Kevin's reference to your Stonewall book. But I still think you have excellent taste in briefcases.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Michael. I've missed you. We've debated the school issue in the past. I appreciate your viewpoint and what you bring to the discussion, though I maintain my opinion.

I've really nothing to add beyond what I've pointed out thus far, other than the Cscope and Common core stuff Glenn Beck has been investigating. He's interviewed several public school teachers. Unless they're all lying, it's pretty damning stuff. You know anything about it?

Ah yes, Mr. Levin is up to his old antics again. To borrow a line from John Randolph, he's outdone his previous outdoings.

At least we can agree on briefcases. I hope yours is getting its share of scratches and scars - adds to the character.

Thanks for the comment. Hope you have a Happy Easter.

Michael Lynch said...

I'm not a big fan of the Common Core standards, and I don't like the idea of combining multiple subjects into the same class. On the other hand, some of the teachers I've talked to are guardedly positive toward CC because some of the state standard systems are so unwieldy. I have yet to meet a teacher personally who thinks highly of the way unions spend their dues money on political causes, but then again a lot of teachers in my neck of the woods tend to be pretty conservative.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I've only briefly listened to some of the interviews, so I'm not going to say anything at this point. One of the concerns is over "data-mining" and privacy. Here's a link to Beck's interviews and commentary, if you're interested.