30 April 2013

Southern Threads

I've blogged before about the history of Duckhead khakis and apparel - a company that traces its founding to 1865. Duckhead was started by two brothers who were Confederate veterans in 1865:
The Duck Head name goes back to 1865 when two brothers in Nashville, Tennessee. George and Joe O’Bryan bought surplus Army tents made out of a heavy, canvas-like material known as duck. Although it was not intended as a clothing material, duck proved to make sturdy work pants and overalls. These early duck pants became known as khakis which also made a success of the O’Bryan Brothers Manufacturing Company and created durable clothing staple for the last century.
Southern Heritage ~ Faded But Strong
I've worn Duckheads since the 1980's and still wear a couple of pairs I purchased over 20 years ago. I'm wearing a pair as I type this post. 

I also own a pair of bib overalls that I purchased over 20 years ago - Pointer Brand - another company founded and headquartered in the South with a great history and tradition. Their apparel is still hand-sewn and made in the good ol' U.S. of A. Enjoy their website video below:


ropelight said...

You might be a redneck if your wardrobe includes more than 4 pair of bib overalls, especially if you've got half dozen or so pairs of long johns too.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I just have two pair of bibs and one pair of long johns, so I don't qualify.