09 April 2013

Witnessing History - Horses In The Civil War & The Cross Of St. Andrews

When I was in Lexington last week, I stopped by Lee Chapel's shop and museum to sign some books.

Whenever I'm in Lee Chapel's shop, I try to buy something from them. They have a great selection of books, DVD's, CD's, prints, and souvenir type items. This time I bought Kent Masterson Brown's DVD, Unsung Hero: The Horse in the Civil War. I'm always interested in what Mr. Brown is up to. Though I've never read one of his books, I've heard him speak on several occasions and he's quite informative, as well as entertaining, as he shares his knowledge of the WBTS.

I'm not going to take the time to do a full review of this video, but suffice it to say, it's worth the time and money to watch it. The sheer number of horses utilized during the war, as well as the logistics involved in feeding and caring for such a number is overwhelming. It really is a fascinating facet of the war. It was also refreshing that this involved pure military history, not social history and all the other worn out discussions that are the more common fare of many CW blogs these days. I highly recommend Unsung Hero for those interested in cavalry operations and a somewhat different take on the Civil War.

While perusing Brown's website, I came across another video in the works. This one really piques my interest: The Southern Cross. I'm hoping this video will serve as some balance to some of the more negative material that's been published in recent years and look at the flag from a military and historical point of view, rather than a political and sociological one which, again, seems to be standard fare on many CW blogs and discussion boards. We shall see.


Lindsay said...

I always offer this topic (horses) as one for my students to research as we study the way - it is always fascinating to see what they learn and come up with as it is off the beaten path of what is usually studied!

Lindsay said...

By the way, just ordered your new book - can't wait to get it! It is at the top of my summer reading list :)

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

It's a great video.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Lindsay!