06 June 2013

Mini-Review Of Lexington, Virginia & The Civil War

From fellow blogger Peter MacHare . . .

    Thank you very much for Lexington, which I enjoyed very much. I tend to think of every little thing as providential, so the first check being lost enabled you to inscribe the book "on the 150th anniversary of Stonewell Jackson’s ‘crossing.’"  Well!
    I did notice the synergy from page 10 (your "basement office") to page 141 (Fishwick’s "offices are silent biographies") and have always appreciated your good clear prose (I taught legal research and writing for 15 years, so, believe me, I know bad prose when I see it and here I didn’t see it).
    If I might be permitted to ramble a bit more, understatement was well employed in pointing out that Hunter was "not devoid of all compassion." If that’s the best we can say, then Hunter was a beast and no mistake. You beat me to Lexington by four years. I first visited in 1972 as a senior in high school, looking to confirm that Washington and Lee was for me. It was my first time in the South and I never left.
    There is one thing that I missed: at page 79, you point out that Fannie Wilson died a year after writing her letter, but I couldn’t find the circumstances, so I hope you will tell me. I thought I hunted through the book pretty well, but may have just missed it.
    Thanks again, Richard.
Thanks Peter! As I informed Peter, I did not find out what caused Miss Wilson's demise. Time and other projects did not afford me the time to research; though I'm sure the information is out there somewhere.

No comments: