27 August 2013

I Must Toot My Own Horn . . .

*Update: Just received this follow up email from the attorney in NC:
I just reviewed your blog today. I try to every couple of days. I didn’t realize that my emails on Monday might have served to supply some modicum of inspiration to soldier on with it. Soldier on you must do, sir. That is your duty. You have no idea the hearts and minds you touch. In this way you are preserving a way of life that, sadly, is being swept away at an alarming rate. Keep up the good work.
End of update.

. . . at least every once in a while. I've been thinking (again), about mothballing the Old Virginia Blog. I'll finish my 4th WBTS related book this fall and while I haven't lost my zeal for our Nation's history, I have other projects I'd like to work on - including another blog. I also have a couple of other books waiting in the wings and it's becoming increasingly difficult to find the time to do it all. However, I recently some emails in one day from different folks which gives me just enough inspiration to soldier on:
And this from an attorney in North Carolina who asked a question about my recent post concerning Douglas Southall Freeman's use of tobacco:
I’m glad that I’m not the only one who finds it [Freeman's use of tobacco] ironic. To say that I’m stunned is to put it mildly. Honestly, I have a lost a bit of the respect that I had for him given what all I have read and been told about him.

BTW, you have a great blog and I find it very interesting.

(Name withheld)

And then this one from a member of the Rockbridge Civil War Roundtable:
You have many friends and admirers in Lexington and we always enjoy your presentations and books. 
I think I'll keep at it for a bit longer.


13thBama said...

That is great news!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks 13B