26 February 2014

Lacking Intellectual Humility

Graduates of top schools can lack “intellectual humility”
You don't say.
“When you look at people who don’t go to school and make their way in the world, those are exceptional human beings. And we should do everything we can to find those people.” 
I assume by "school", they mean college. I did go - well, for one semester - but they weren't teaching anything I wanted to learn, so I hung out at the local bar during class where I learned some valuable life lessons; though I would not recommend others follow my example. That said, I'm honored to be considered an "exceptional human being" for dropping out of college and making my way in the world.

More here on why Google (and other smart organizations) "doesn’t care about hiring top college graduates."


RightsideVA said...

Very true and some of the best has come out of those who have not spent years in "Higher education" or in the fields they did go to college for...
email me at: kijak2008@yahoo.com for information on another prior issue....

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Just to be clear, there is no bigger cheerleader for learning than me, I just believe the so-called experts are, in many areas, failing. There are better ways and methods.

Email coming.

E.J. DAgrosa said...

Very true! I went to college for 2 semesters, but realized it wasn't for me. I value education, and recommend that if you go to college, then it should be for an education and not just mere "job skills". College is for, or at least it should be for higher learning. If it's job skills you want then get a job. Some of the big names we talk about today were college drop-outs; Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, the guy who started Facebook. Goes to show you, not all knowledge comes from college.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

E.J. - yes, just google successful college drop outs. It's quite amazing.

"If it's job skills you want then get a job."

Or go to technical school and read lots of books - which is what I did.

Anonymous said...

No offense, but I always find it interesting that the people who tend to 'bag' on colleges are usually the ones who didn't complete them. I work at a firm full of Ivy Leaguers and college graduates and their abilities and starting incomes are in direct proportion to their academic credentials. Most of the better firms/major corps. and govt. jobs won't even interview people with less than a Masters degree, so I am afraid if you "wanna' get paid $$$," you need the pedigree to demand it.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

No offense taken. However, you could not be more wrong. And I always find it interesting that the people who tend to "brag" on colleges are usually the ones who have a degree.

So what?

You're about 20 years behind reality and have been swallowed a huge scam:


Thanks for the comment, nonetheless.

PS: I have enough credits from classes, technical experience, technical training and life experience that I could get an adult program degree - IF I wanted to fork over the money. I actually checked on this several years ago from one college and one university here in Virginia. But why would I do that?

In all honesty, the only reason I could come up with to justify it was ego. Not very smart.

Anonymous said...

I still say it's hard to demand a high starting salary from an employer or negotiate a bigger package without the papers to back up the counter proposal. Firms don't pay $$$ on street smarts.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I'm sure there are some firms which that would apply to, but as Google demonstrates, as well as the Forbes article and many other recent ones, the facts don't support your opinion.

Thanks for commenting.

E.J. DAgrosa said...

ANON-With all due respect, I don't think anyone is "bagging" on colleges. Education is something that every person should pursue, but is it worth putting yourself in debt for? I have worked in the field of retail for 6+ years now, and I have lost track of the people who I've worked with who have all gone to college and gotten their "pedigree", yet they can't find that high salary job that they hoped for and are forced to settle for min. wage jobs. It comes down to making sure you are going to college for the right reasons, which should be for an education not job qualifications for a bigger, fatter salary. Job skills come from working, or a tech school like Richard mentioned. Personally, if I were a business owner, I would rather hire someone who has been working in a field gaining actual experience, than someone who spent 4 years learning from a book. The obvious exception here would be doctors of course!