08 February 2014

Lee Is More Valued Than Grant

I've blogged about this phenomenon before. I think it drives certain quadrants of academia quite crazy. Envy.
“Basically, if it’s a thread from Robert E. Lee, you take it,” he said. “Gen. Grant is one thing, but Robert E. Lee’s a couple of steps above that in my opinion.”
I'd say quite a bit more than a couple of steps, but I'm a bit partial. Of course, I'm not the only one. Actually, I think mine is the majority opinion - outside the Ivory Towers of anti-Confederate historians.
Antiques Roadshow regular Matt Quinn hand-delivered the Lee prizes Wednesday that Richey bought for $55,000 during a hotly bidded auction at Quinn's Auction Galleries in Falls Church, Va. “Rarely does someone get to own something from Robert E. Lee,” Quinn said. “It just doesn’t come to market.
The rest of this quite interesting story can be read here.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/02/02/5533845/prolific-fort-worth-civil-war.html#storylink=c

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/02/02/5533845/prolific-fort-worth-civil-war.html#storylink=cpy

1 comment:

Arlee Bird said...

I was reading about this just the other day. If I were going to choose a role model it would definitely be Lee.

Lee
"About the Stonewall Jackson Brigade"
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog