28 April 2014

Readin' & Writin' Stuff

I hope to post a review of David Johnson's biography of John Randolph , which I recently finished reading, soon. I'm now reading a fascinating biography of my great x 9 grandfather, Roger Williams. I'll post a review of that book at some point as well. What strikes me as absolutely amazing about both these books--totally unrelated--is the political debates and how closely they mirror, in so many ways, the same issues and topics that are being debated today. It is quite astonishing.

As soon as I finish the Williams biography, I'm going to take up something a bit lighter: Joe Bageant's Rainbow Pie - A Redneck Memoir. The late Joe Bageant was a progressive, but his insights regarding rural Southerners are worth examining.

And, in between all this, work continues on the Battle of Waynesboro book. I hope to have the first draft off to the publisher by the end of May.

2 comments:

E.J. DAgrosa said...

Wow! So your roots run really far back in American history. Roger Williams was a fascinating figure in our history-a man who stood against the Puritans(who came to the "new world" seeking refuge from religious persecution, then quickly became the persecutors) and who, ironically have a lot in common with modern liberals I think, though I doubt that most modern liberals would want to admit that!

I recently read a biography of Charles Carroll which was very interesting. Now I am reading about the conservative intellectual movement in America.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hey EJ. I only recently discovered I was a direct descendant of Roger Williams - thanks to fellow Virginian and blogger, Robert Moore. That side of my family was estranged from our close family. It's complicated, though I've since "reconnected" through a second cousin.+

"ironically have a lot in common with modern liberals"

Indeed they do. Thanks for stopping by!