05 June 2014

150 Years Ago Today - Battle Of Piedmont

Taken this morning. Battle of Piedmont - 150 years ago today. My great-great grandfather John Meredith Crutchfield (60th Va Infantry) was wounded here and taken prisoner. He died the following March from complications.


Anonymous said...

My great-great grandfather Francis Buhrman was also in the 60th Virginia Infantry. I've never been to the Piedmont Battlefield, but it looks like a beautiful place to be. Thanks for posting this.
-Jason H.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

You are welcome. Your ancestor would have actually seen most of his participation across the road from this marker. Yes, quite a beautiful setting for such a violent and tragic event. It is, for the most part, virtually unspoiled. I'll be taking part in a tour there tomorrow morning.

Craig A. Vrana (CVrana@q.com) said...

Thank you for this picture. My wife's 2nd great grandfather, Ambrose Friedmann, is listed as being killed here. He was with the 28th Ohio V.I. I was at this spot later that year and the corn was so high I couldn't see much. Is Battlefield Road now the same road as Staunton Road from the battlefield Diagrams? I sure had a hard time orienting myself when I was there. I would have really enjoyed taking the tour. Do you know if anyone filmed the tour?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hi Craig. I'll respond in detail tomorrow. Do you have Scott Patchans book?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Craig - most of the actual fighting took place across the road from where this monument is. In answer to your question about the road, yes. It's pretty much exactly the same route. I do not know if anyone filmed the tour. Scott blogs here:


He might know about the filming. Thanks for reading and commenting.