26 December 2014

Colonial Furniture Finishing Circa 1775

Several years ago, I had the privilege of making a cyber-acquaintance in Don Williams. (No relation.) Don recently retired from his position as senior furniture conservator at the Smithsonian. He is now a neighbor here in Western Virginia. ("Neighbor" in the sense he lives in "neighboring" Highland County, about an hour and a half northwest of my home. I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge below the western slope at the eastern edge of the Shenandoah Valley, while Don's home is located in the heart of the Alleghenies not far from the West Virginia state line. We are both bona fide "mountain men." ☺)

Don's recent Christmas greetings brought to my attention the fact he's done a video with Popular Woodworking titled Creating Historic Furniture Finishes. As I occasionally do some woodworking and love refinishing old pieces of furniture, this news caught my attention. I assume the video will be available soon. Below is the trailer.

No comments: