28 January 2015

I've Been Having Similar Thoughts . . .

. . . I am saturated in digital life and I want to return to the actual world again. I’m a human being before I am a writer; and a writer before I am a blogger, and although it’s been a joy and a privilege to have helped pioneer a genuinely new form of writing, I yearn for other, older forms. I want to read again, slowly, carefully. I want to absorb a difficult book and walk around in my own thoughts with it for a while. I want to have an idea and let it slowly take shape, rather than be instantly blogged. ~ Andrew Sullivan
. . . though I'm actually considering starting another blog. I probably won't abandon this one (I need to keep it active if for no other reason to rebut some of the asinine posts coming from other blogs), but will likel only post once a week here, while focusing on the other blog which will also likely be a once a week post - quality over quantify. 

I believe a lot of people are simply overwhelmed by blogs and social media of all types, including those that focus on history, especially the history of the War Between the States. Note the latest obsessed obsession at a few academic blogs about "black Confederates." My Lord, they're worse than the wacky Southern Heritage folks. Give it a rest already. The rest of the world has moved on. You read these blogs and its the same thing over and over: endless mind-numbing debates over the cause of the war, slavery, tariffs, black Confederates, all morphed into politically correct, agenda-driven nonsense, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

This upcoming May, I'll have been blogging here 10 years. I love to write and history and culture is my passion, but I'm being pulled in a slightly different direction. So, I've got a few posts to catch up on here, which I hope to do very soon, and then I'm going to do some of what Andrew Sullivan discusses above - read and write - slowly.


Anonymous said...

With all the new primary materials being constantly posted about the Civil War in databases on the internet, you would think that these intellectuals could post a quote occasionally with their essays.

When somebody does post an essay using primary documents, they get attacked, and are told they are stupid and need to read a book.

There ARE old books and old newspapers all over the internet, and spending 3 evenings searching for a particular topic, any topic, is more informative than these essays you see.

It is not necessary to do an exhaustive study of any one topic. It is enough to search the Official Records for the word "fugitive slaves," for example, to get an overall impression of what life was like back in the day.

The comments you see on blogs seem to be on a different planet from the real stories.

For example, a commenter on a VA Historical Society blog asked for more information about free negroes during the war. The response from the historian was that we really don't know anything about them. Do what?

For one thing, any period newspaper would be full of hits on "free negro." For another thing, All the slaves in the confederacy were free after the Emancipation Proclamation - right? So after Jan. 1, 1863, you do not have to search for "free negro," you just have to search for "negro."

I asked someone who works for the Battlefield Parks in Washington, DC, if they knew anything about contraband slaves in Washington during the war. She said, "Oh, the Contrabands were at Fort Monroe." Do what?

All the fugitive slaves who came into Union camps in 13 Confederate states magically flew over to Hampton? Poof. How does that work? Ever read anything from the official records online? Anything?

Thanks for being here. You do a great job.

E.J. DAgrosa said...

As someone who has 3 different Blogs myself, I can certainly understand. What's the other Blog about? I would be interested in reading it.

Jubilo said...

Dear Old Dom.,
I have always enjoyed your blog and tireless opposition to your foes. Continued good luck in all of your endeavors.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Anon. E.J. - haven't made the blog "live" yet - still working on overall theme. Title will have "old" in it thought. ;-)

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Jub - me, have foes? You're kidding!

13thBama said...

Been lurking more lately than posting but thanks for all you've done. I hope to see post as much as you can.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks 13B