21 March 2015

Relic Hunting Post #127 ~ A Beautiful 1907 V-Nickel

Liberty Head nickels (more commonly referred to as V nickels) were minted from 1883 to 1912. It was eventually replaced by the much better known Buffalo Nickel. I recently recovered this 1907 Liberty Head nickel from a farm here in the Shenandoah Valley that dates to the mid 1700's. It is, comparatively, in remarkable condition given the fact it likely laid in the ground for over 100 years. The photos don't do justice to the detail that remains on this coin. It must have been lost shortly after its mint date.

Should you ever come into possession of one of these with a 1913 mint date on it, keep it. There are only 5 known to exist and the last one sold for $5 million. One coin site notes the following:

Not much is known about the actual minting of the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels. It is believed that five specimens were struck at the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia sometime between the Summer of 1912 and early February of 1913. One theory says that the coins were struck as advance test pieces around July of 1912, with the expectation that the series would continue the following year anyway. Another theory proposes that someone was burning the midnight oil at the Mint, and struck the five specimens before the dies were destroyed in preparation for the change to the Buffalo Nickel, which began production in late February of 1913.


ropelight said...

I believe I held a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel in my hand - in 1955 a classmate brought one to school.

At the time I was collecting Pennies, Nickels, and Dimes in those blue (Whitman?) folders and was aware of the rare 1913 Liberty Head Nickel. When a classmate claimed his father had one I didn't believe him so the next day he brought it to class to show me. I was only 12 years old back then and easily bamboozled, but it sure looked real.

The memory of that incident has frequently replayed itself over in my mind ever so often ever since. And I can't for the life of me remember the kid's name.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Interesting. I wonder if they know/knew what they had.

Chris Johnson said...

Very nice find Rick. Outstanding detail

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Chris.