12 May 2015

Why Do So Many Yankee History Bloggers Focus on the South?

Update: This college dropout noticed something about the following response to my post:

So this college dropout (aka "writer in question") has been taught something by someone with an M.A. in history; to wit: "Analytical history is dominantly about personal/political agendas and leaves little room for examining historical claims based on analysis and interpretation."

So "analytical history" leaves little room for analysis and is about "political agendas"? Shucks, if I had just stayed in college I would have been able to make sense of that statement. 

Or, just perhaps, the remark was a Freudian slip. ☺

End of update.

Have you noticed how many yankee history bloggers focus on Southern themed topics when it comes to the War Between the States? From heritage, to what it means to be a Southerner, to the Confederate Battle Flag - they are absolutely obsessed. They seem to be more obsessed with Southern heritage than even those of us who actually claim that heritage. It's quite curious to observe. What's even more curious is their often clueless, narrow-minded perspective. Are they envious or what?

Professor David Blight has lamented, "Why doesn't the Confederacy just fade away?" I think part of the answer for the yankee historian is staring back at them in the mirror. I also think their obsession reveals much more about them than it does about their topic.


Jubilo said...

Dear Old Dom.,

Much like the French and others who reject America but listen to our music, wear baseball caps and jackets, eat McDonalds and love western (cowboy ) films, Johnny Cash, Elvis, and even watch America football. Not much to celebrate in their own modern cultures so they love/hate another.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yes sir, you've nailed it. Though there is also the lingering New England Puritan busybody inclination. Like the Church Lady.

Eddie said...

As Harvey Hill wrote long ago --

"A meddling Yankee troubles himself about every body's matters except his own and repents of everybody's sins except his own. We are a different people."

Things have not changed.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

The ones I'm referring to - yes.

Anonymous said...

“Every one knows how voraciously the radicals of the North devour a column filled with suspicious intimations of the actions of the “rebels.”

The Norfolk Post 30 August 1865

jessie sanford said...

I believe you hit a nerve with ole Kevin he counter attacked pretty quick. But then they can't help them selfs. Their life won't mean much if they didn't have Southerns to attack and prove to them selfs that they are the superior race and culture, sad really.

Chris Johnson said...

Hit the nail on the head, Rick...envious!

With most things not understood, one will find "envy" at the core of the issue.

Southern by birth, Texan by the grace of God. Words I live by...

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thank you gentlemen.

Ralph Steel said...

You are a college drop out?...oh my. I thought with all the stories of college/academia that you find so horrible you actually had some ball in the game.

Seems like you should stop your complaining about college until you have actually graduated from one.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Ralph. So good to hear from you. I do have ball in the game - the future of our nation, my grandchildren, etc.

Yes, I dropped out. Why? I was bored stiff. Not intellectually challenging enough and, besides, they weren't teaching anything I wanted to learn. Though I would not necessarily recommend it for others, I learned more valuable lessons at the bar just down the road from the campus.

I do recall two memorable lessons from my one semester:

1. My Western Civ. professor beleived the Hittites were the devil incarnate.

2. It took me exactly 8 minutes to walk from my last class to my motorcycle and then ride to the closest bar.

Ralph said...

Sounds more like an excuse than a reason...but to each their own right?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

No, actually it was a reason. That excuse would not have been accepted by college administration, i.e.:

"Hey, I wasn't in class yesterday because I realized that what was going on at the bar was far more intellectually stimulating than what was being taught in class."

I was brazen, but not that brazen.

ropelight said...

RGW, it's really quite simple: The personal and political motives of college dropouts obviously contaminates your brand of Analytical history.

But the analysis and interpretation of historical events by credentialed examiners (like Kevin Levin) is entirely free from the obsessively clueless, narrow-minded perspective so often displayed on his blog.

It's clear to me because I've been to college.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Surreal isn't it?