03 August 2015

Professor Forrest McDonald's Profound Observation About *Yankees

*Not all, but many:
I believe that somewhere, deep in the innermost recesses of their atrophied souls, Yankees know that they truly have botched things, and truly are plagued with guilt. That, I think, is the bottom line: the Yankee hates himself, and he hates his heritage. And why does he hate us? Because we do not hate ourselves and we treasure ours. ~ Forrest McDonald
Oh my. How true, how true.


Anonymous said...

Love your passion for history and wanting to see it preserved in it's truth which is important in this day and age where truth is being exchanged for lies. With that being said, I am a bit perplexed by some of the Christian undertones here that imply that you are a Christ follower. Perhaps the divisiveness expressed here has more to do with the "hatred" the "Yankee" has for you. Surely, any Yank who were truly jealous of your treasures would give it all up for what you have just as Paul hoped the Jews would. Quite frankly, this site is a huge turn off for this history loving, "Yankee"/southern transplant, Christ follower. Apparently, there are a lot of atrophied souls out there, even southern ones.

God Bless!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I simply defend things I seeing being attacked and destroyed. The Christ I read about in the Bible was an extremely "divisive" individual, as were many of his followers. They were hardly accommodating and embraced by their culture. Your comment perplexes me. Christ was crucified, not crowned. "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." ~ Matthew 10:34. I would submit that swords are rather divisive objects, no?

Moreover, I believe all of the apostles, save one, were martyred not because they were "accommodating", but precisely because they were *divisive*. The exception was John, who was exiled for the same reasons.

I don't set out to be "divisive", but it often comes with the territory.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Thanks for reading and thanks for taking the time to comment.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

PS - I have very deep, New England "yankee" ancestry as well. And I'm proud of it.

E.J. DAgrosa said...

Most people today have a skewed picture of Christ, or perhaps it is that they want to see "their version" of Christ. That is, what they want him to be, rather than who he really was. Christ wasn't some "nice guy"...nice guys don't go into temples toppling over tables and whipping the money-changers out. Most of the Biblical prophets of the OT were that way to.

Perhaps maybe we can use a few people like him today?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Smiley face Christianity.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.