31 August 2015

The Appalachian Trail & America's Changing Culture

Pocosin Cabin, along the AT in Shenandoah National Park
As most readers likely know, the Appalachian Trail runs through Virginia and is also very close to my home near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Though I've never hiked the complete trail, I have hiked many miles of it here in my native state of Virginia. So it was with great interest (and disgust) that I read the following:
the culture and attitude of the people using the footpath is changing.

Jensen Bissell, director of the park, said in a letter to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy late last year that AT hikers are "open and deliberate in their desire for freedom from all rules and regulations." He warns that the trail may need to end somewhere besides Katahdin if something doesn't change soon. . . . Some say there appears to be a growing sense of entitlement among thru-hikers, many of whom are just out of college or have enough money to leave work for months at a time.
I am disgusted, but given the change in our culture, not all that surprised. No editorial commentary necessary.

Complete story here.

3 comments:

Ralph Steel said...

Are you trying to connect the idea of rich kid entitlement in this story to entitlements like food stamps and such for the poor?

I don't know if I understand your complaint...???

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Ralph. I'm not trying to make any connection, the facts speak for themselves, as the observers quoted in the article make quite clear. It's just another sign of the times and our declining culture.

E.J. DAgrosa said...

Agreed, Richard!

People go to escape the hectic life of modern society, not get closer to it.