07 September 2015

Packet Boat Memories

Each summer, I spend a fair amount of time exploring some of the more historic aspects of Virginia's rivers. This may include relic recovery or just a liesurely float in my kayak or canoe. This past Saturday, my adventures took me to Scottsville on the James where the town has an open museum of sorts that explores the history of bateau and packet boats. While there, I took note of this interesting quote displayed at one of the exhibits:

And below is a photograph of The Marshall - the packet boat that transported Stonewall Jackson's remains. In the background is Jordan's Point and, on the bluffs, Virginia Military Institute still showing the damage inflicted by Union General David Hunter's army in June of 1864.

The Marshall on the North (Maury) River, Lexington, Virginia
Below . . . mapping out my next adventure.

No comments: