22 September 2015

These Stories Would Make Great Historical Movies


I've always wondered why movie producers have overlooked so many true stories that would make GREAT movies. I mean really, SOMEONE needs to make a move about Jack Hinson's one man war against the yankees. And then there's the life story and conversion of John Jasper. Both of those lives are so packed full of classic literary themes as to beg for a major movie production - tragedy, hatred, love, irony, poetic justice, intrigue, triumph. I can already picture Clint Eastwood as an elderly Jack Hinson sitting in a rocking chair and recounting the story to a grandson. And Denzell Washington would make a PERFECT Jasper. I think I may have missed my calling.

And though I co-produced a documentary that focused on Stonewall Jackson's black Sunday school class, that story would make a fantastic feature film as well. Oh well, maybe some day. In the meantime, here's what ListVerse thinks about what we're missing:
There’s a lot of history, and we’re making more every year. As a result, many history textbooks have to focus on the grand sweep of events rather than individual stories. Which is understandable, but kind of a shame, since it means missing some of the most amazing stories of our shared past.
It has always been the individual stories that fascinate me, for that is where real history is made and comes to life. More here

Note to readers: I'm just beginning work on a total revamp of this blog. I plan to be working with a college intern on a major overhaul and move to a new platform. Hopefully this will be done by year's end. It's hard to believe I've been at this for over 10 years. And I have several writing and research projects in which I'm involved. More news and announcements to come soon. Time is short . . . 

No comments: