11 September 2015

U.S. Air Force Pilot Attacked by Mob For Displaying Confederate Flags

The pilot, who is stationed at nearby Joint Base Lewis McCord, was stuck in traffic as a mob of protestors streamed across 4th Ave. in downtown Olympia. But when some of the protesters saw that the pilot was displaying Confederate flags from his motorcycle, they swarmed around him and began assaulting him.
“They sprayed the victim in the face with mace, and struck him in the back with a baseball bat and a glass bottle filled with red paint,” the police report said. “The victim suffered severe eye irritation and a bruised shoulder and back. One of the witnesses attempting to assist the victim was also sprayed in the face with mace.”

In reading this story, I was reminded of a recent comment on another Civil War blog that was posted in response to a discussion on the Confederate battle flag:
It is past time for the lost cause to be eradicated from the land. Let it die along with the cockroaches who cling to it.
I'd further note that there was no rebuke nor negative response to the comment. 


Brian Lee said...

I hope it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if the pilot got in trouble with the UASF for flying the Confederate flag.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Well, of course. This is how the game is played. Evilize freedom of speech which is a wink and a nod to the violence.

Mark Snell said...

Without going back and checking, that quote from another blog sounds like something a fellow with the initials "J. D." would write. He's not worth the effort repudiating. He is emotional and radical, and knows just enough about history to make himself seem relevant. To rebuke him would elevate him. I did it once, and he responded with blithering nonsense. Let him drool and sputter.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Mark: "emotional and radical" would be quite accurate. Even the "emotional and radical" host of that particular blog has had to call him down a time or two. But he let this rather hateful remark slide. Amazing.

Mark Snell said...

I say let him rattle his nonsense and expose him for what he is. Anything else would be censorship. Kevin can be provocative (I believe that is his intent), but I never found him to be emotional.

Found anything interesting lately (relic-hunting wise)?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Mark - you're right, good advice. Yes, a few things. Found a few CW minie balls in a Valley river earlier this year. Also found a large cent, but it's so corroded I can only make out 18?? for the date. I also spent a week in Canada doing some metal detecting with some of my grandsons - the oldest made a really cool recovery:


I'll have a great story in Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine about that experience.

And I've got some new sites lined up for this season - just got the ok to detect a very historic Valley home that dates to the mid 1700's and I'm also lined up to hunt a Confederate winter camp. The camp has been hit hard, so we'll see what everybody else left behind. ☺

Also, during some recent research, I came across an old road bed in Rockbridge County that was used during the Civil War but was closed shortly thereafter. I have permission to check that out and it might have some potential.

How about you? Have you been swingin' your White's any lately? We still should find something to write about together related to our mutual interest for one of the magazines some time.

Mark Snell said...

I envy you. Even though I am now fully retired, my farm and writing keep me busy 18 hours a day. I have one book deadline at the end of this month and another December 31. My White's detector has long since died. I'm hoping someone nice buys me a new one for my birthday next month. I've certainly left her enough hints. Congrats on your positive book review. My last book was published with the History Press. They put out a nice, finished product at an affordable price.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Ah, the life of an agrarian scholar. You sir are the one to be envied. Working those kind of hours you deserve a new detector. Thanks, yes, they've published my last 2 books. They do some nice work in their niche. So what's the topic of your next books?

Mark Snell said...

The first one is an anthology of essays titled _My Gettysburg: Meditations on History and Place_. The second is tentatively titled _Gettysburg's Other Battle: The Saga of an American Shrine during the First World War_." Both will be published by Kent State Univ. Press and both should be available by next summer. Thanks for the plug, Richard!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

You're welcome Mark. Remind me when they're released and I'll post something on them.