10 January 2016

Yankee Cemetery - Staunton, Virginia

8 January 2016: National Cemetery, Staunton, Virginia, © 2016 Richard G. Williams, Jr.
I've been asked to write 2 more essays for the Essential Civil War Curriculum which is an online Sesquicentennial project of the Virginia Center for Civil War Studies at Virginia Tech.

The topic for one of those essays will be Civil War cemeteries. Living in the Shenandoah Valley provides me with some excellent source material close at hand - including the one referenced in the image here. I took this photo with an iPhone 6 and used an app to add a "grunge/vintage" look. I actually like the way it turned out, particularly with the Christmas wreaths.

Officially known as National Cemetery in Staunton, Virginia, this particular cemetery is still most often referred to as "Yankee Cemetery" by locals. This cemetery has an interesting history which I may tackle in the essay for ECWC. In 1870 there were 753 Civil War soldiers in the cemetery. Today, this hallowed ground is the final resting place for 989 fallen.


The cemetery is now full and has been closed for new burials since 1983.

3 comments:

cenantua said...

I've compiled data on the Union burials there. Let me know if you have questions; I might be able to help.

cenantua said...

... and I've "dabbled" extensively with the Union burials in Winchester National Cemetery. So, between Staunton and Winchester, I've learned a good deal about some interesting details that may be of interest.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yes! Let's talk.