11 March 2016

Are Some Educators Abusing the Minds of Children?

This is the logical outcome of relativism. There are no absolute truths, even in math. And some folks wonder why the education establishment is becoming a laughing stock and why homeschooling continues to grow exponentially. Source.


Champ Livingston said...

When you post stuff like this you only prove you know nothing about education yet you just love to complain about it. Teachers don't come in and tell you how to write you books, so what gives you the right to tell teachers how to teach?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

"When you post stuff like this you only prove you know nothing about education"

Actually, I know quite a bit. My wife and I homeschooled 4 of our 6 children and we help with our grandchildren as well. I also know that 3x4 does not equal 11 and I'm rather confident I could easily explain that to a child. I could probably even explain it to you.

"what gives you the right to tell teachers how to teach?"

Well, I actually can't tell them. However since I'm a taxpayer and help pay their salaries, I have every right to speak out when they demonstrate incompetence which harms the children they're teaching.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Oh yes, and I also sat in class for 4 hours yesterday "being educated."

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Champ: Please tell me you're not a teacher.

Eddie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Eddie: I deleted your comment not that I doubt you, but I would prefer to have absolute proof that "Champ Livingston" is an alias for the person you mentioned. If so, I would normally reinstate my ban on that person. However, his comments are useful for demonstrating the intellectual bankruptcy of his ideology and worldview. Thanks for the heads up, nonetheless.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Mr. Livingston, if you'd like to comment and assure us all that your name here is actually real, that might be helpful, though you're certainly welcome to use an alias if you prefer.

ropelight said...

If memory serves, several months ago I took Chump to task over his name, and I believe he claimed his parents hung the moniker on him. I could be wrong but I do have a fuzzy recollection.

Additionally, Chump's comment is laughably wrongheaded. It should be obvious the reason students are taught to multiply 3 X 4 isn't so they can arrive at the wrong answer.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

RL - surreal, isn't it? The inmates are indeed running the asylum. Some folks are so committed to their ideology and politics that they'll defend even that which is demonstrably and unarguably wrong.

Champ said...

Well that got things going here...it is usually a pretty quiet place in terms of the comments.

Why yes I am a teacher...have been one for over 20 years now and I can tell you homeschooling your children is not teaching...it is avoiding teaching. You have never attended college and been trained as a teacher which would require putting in many, many hours of study and preparation. Also, it would require you to be licensed by the state to perform the duties of a teacher.

You know 3X4 does not equal 11...good for you. That teacher said the same thing in the video, but since you are not a teacher and familiar with education techniques and Common Core you anger is misdirected. But I have come to expect that from the Anti-Intellectual intellectual you pretend to be. You seem to forget that for many professions one cannot just wing it and do it from home...one must have a degree and certification or licensing from the state or umbrella organization.

I am curious as to who Eddie thinks I am. I have been called out for being a number of people like Eddie. Do tell.

Ropelight seems to be as confused by the reasoning and logic in the video as you are. Let me know if you need me to enlighten you on what is being taught these days.

Ralph Steel said...

Sorry to see you having problems with Champ Richard, but I have to side with him. The video in the post is cut so you don't get the whole story.

Common Core works to make kids think about what they are doing not just relying on rote memory.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

"homeschooling your children is not teaching...it is avoiding teaching."

I've been blogging for over 10 years and that is one of the most ignorant statements ever posted here. It doesn't even deserve a response.

"You have never attended college"

Wrong again. I've attended several times, just didn't complete a degree. However, the sum of my technical education and life experience would qualify me, if I thought it was important. It's not.

"it would require you to be licensed by the state to perform the duties of a teacher."

Myth. ALL studies show that parents homeschooling their children are producing students who are far better educated than their public school counterparts. State licensing guarantees nothing as far as quality goes. You're simply parroting cliches long proven incorrect.

"You know 3X4 does not equal 11...good for you. That teacher said the same thing in the video, but since you are not a teacher and familiar with education techniques and Common Core you anger is misdirected."

Yes, she did say the same thing, then went on to state that it's the "why and how" they came up with the wrong answer that they're focusing on rather than "correcting them." Yes, try that in the real world. I suppose giving a customer the wrong change is ok as long as you can explain "how and why" you did it. What universe do you live in?

"You seem to forget that for many professions one cannot just wing it and do it from home...one must have a degree and certification or licensing from the state or umbrella organization."

I have several certifications and am required to maintain them with continuing ed credits. I just updated one over the last five weeks. From home. Online. Welcome to the 21st century Champ. LOL.

"Let me know if you need me to enlighten you on what is being taught these days."

Thanks, but you and the video have already done exactly that. I believe I'll pass.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Ralph - Common Core is an utter disaster. And more and more teachers are coming to that realization.

But if you like it, fine. The marketplace and reality will eventually reveal the truth - just as it has done with homeschooling.

Champ said...


I hope you don't let some guy who thinks electrical work is a hobby work on the wiring in your house. That is about the same as a parent homeschooling. Never having the training necessary to teach and giving it a whirl at home. There is a reason electricians and plumbers go through so much education...same for teachers.

I didn't say you didn't attend college. I said you never attended college and trained as a teacher...there is a difference.

I see from your comments here that you cannot be enlightened as to what the teacher on the Common Core video is discussing. Old, inflexible and stuck in your ways...pretty typical Virginia conservative. However, one of the things that simply passes you buy on the video is that the teacher is more worried about the student understanding how they got to their answer. Once the student understands how they got their answer then they can start to understand why it is wrong.

I was a horrible math student, yet the CC version of math makes sense to me and I would imagine thousands of other kids. But because you as stuck in some imagined anti-intellectual world you think this should be thrown out...or was it because of it coming from the Obama Administration?

But then again you are not a trained teacher and you wouldn't understand.

As for you article linked to in another comment... you didn't really read that article did you?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

"That is about the same as a parent homeschooling."

Actually, the facts and results regarding homeschooling prove that it's not the same. It's no secret Champ. You just don't like the fact you and the government lose control over what's being taught (not to mention the money you lose with each student not enrolled). You want to instill your worldview over that of the parents.

"pretty typical Virginia conservative."

Thank you.

Champ: the verdict on homeshooling is in, and has been for about 20 years now. You're the one stuck in your ways. Homeschooling has reached critical mass. It's not just "Christians and right-wingers" now. We're a diverse group Champ:


Like I said, welcome to the 21st century.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

BTW Champ, I'm certainly not "anti-intellectual", nor an "intellectual." I am anti-faux intellectual and anti-elite. But I'm just the grandson of dirt farmers, a yeoman at heart.

And I'm actually thinking about going back to college - just so I can get kicked out.

Champ said...

And you still fail to understand education. Is that why you homeschooled?...because you couldn't actually teach?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

"Is that why you homeschooled?...because you couldn't actually teach?"

Your question is an oxymoron. But that's ok, you have a state license.

Our homeschooling success speaks for itself, thank you very much. I think you're envious (and probably embarrassed) that parents who have not been "licensed" nor "officially trained" to teach are running circles around public schools at a fraction of the cost.

I'd be embarrassed too.

Champ said...

Sure it is easy to teach and discipline your own kids in your own home. Try teaching a disciplining a classroom of 25 who are not your own. Try dealing with parents who think the child's failure is all on you and not on the child.

Envious and embarrassed of what? You wouldn't last a minute in a modern classroom licensed or not.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

"You wouldn't last a minute in a modern classroom licensed or not."

I have no desire to. But that changes nothing I've said.

Mark Snell said...

Both of you have valid comments. I don't have a teaching degree but I have been rated as a pretty good teacher. I taught a number of students at West Point who were home-schooled and yet still made the cut to get in (especially considering the tough entrance requirements) and most of them graduated. One of them became a Green Beret and, sadly, now lies in Arlington National Cemetery. And Champ, you are correct about teaching in a public school with parents breathing down your neck and undisciplined students. Bless you--I wouldn't want to do it. Both my sons are public school products and both turned out OK. Both went to college and are gainfully employed. However, Champ, you should refrain from making sweeping generalizations about home schooling. Like teachers in public AND private schools (and universities!), some are good, some are average, and some are pretty awful.

I disagree with Richard about lots of things, and I agree with him on lots of things, but no matter, we have always kept the dialogue civil.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Mark. Good to hear from you. I received a wonderful education in public schools here in the Shenandoah Valley. And I had excellent teachers. Obviously, that was a long time ago. Things have changed, and not all for the better.

I've noted here numerous times that I know there are good teachers in public schools doing the best they can, often IN SPITE of administrators and the idiocy we see demonstrated in this video.

Much of the lunacy is beyond the control of the teachers - mindless bureaucracy, politics and, yes, parents who are not supportive. It is further indication of the breakdown of societal norms that you and I grew up with, in my humble opinion.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

BTW, my oldest daughter is state-certified to teach. And she does teach - her four daughters. At home.

Champ said...


The point I am making is that you wouldn't hire a novice to work on your wiring in your house so why use a novice to teach your kids?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

If parents are "novices" when it comes to teaching kids, then God (or evolution if prefer) made a colossal mistake.

Beyond that:

"From the beginning of the re-emergence of home-schooling in the late 1960s and early 1970s, the strongest criticism of home-schooling was that untrained, noncredentialed parents could not provide the quality of instruction needed to match the education provided in public and private schools."


"The results of those tests demonstrated that on average, home-schooled children regularly outperformed their peers. These test results had a significant impact on the growth of home-schooling. First, state legislators were convinced that home-schooling parents could provide a high level of education, and they passed laws that recognized the right to home-school. Additionally, many parents who were contemplating home-schooling were encouraged to take the leap of faith to educate their children at home."

What the test results demonstrate is that a home-school program tailored to the individual needs of the student is the best method of educating a child."

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/nov/30/testing-proves-success-of-grads/

And as I anticipate you'll blame the source for being biased, here's another one:

"Studies suggest that those [homeschoolers] who go on to college will outperform their peers.


Bottom line Champ? Your whole premise that "trained" teachers can provide a superior education is demonstrably false. The debate is over and your side lost. Deal with it.

Mark Snell said...


I understand the reason why states require licensing and certification for certain professions. Certainly most (maybe all) public school districts require teacher certification, which normally includes a semester of student teaching while earning an education degree. Nonetheless, I have taught some excellent students at the college level who were home schooled. I cannot recall having any home-schooled student who was not prepared for college-level courses. Again, it all depends on the parents, their children, their home environment, the curriculum and their "upbringing." On the other hand, I have taught students--including education majors--who were educated in public schools. Some were terrific, some were average, and others do not belong in a classroom teaching children. I also was an instructor at several summer teachers' seminars funded through the U.S. Department of Education. The teacher-attendees ran the gamut from superior to poor, just as you might find with home-school parent/instructors. (BTW,I do not have an education degree nor a teacher certification.)

Maybe I am lucky, in that I have done some rewiring in my own home, and it still is standing. ;-)