21 March 2016

New Gig - Newspaper Columnist

A couple of weeks ago, I was contacted by one of our local newspapers about writing some short pieces on local history. I had been recommended by one of our local museums. As a lifelong resident of the area (with deep family roots), I have enough material to write about for many years. Also, I truly enjoy giving back to the home and area that has given so much to me. It also helps that this opportunity actually pays. ;-)

So, of course, I agreed. My first piece appeared in today's edition of the newspaper. Here's an excerpt:
Waynesboro’s “Forest Hill” was a wooded area of rolling landscape in March of 1865. Now, it's part of Waynesboro’s Tree Streets.

The area was known in those days as “Gallaher’s Woods,” and served as a major part of the battlefield during the Battle of Waynesboro. But in the next century, Gallaher’s Woods would come to be owned by Richard H. Clemmer, “Captain Dick" — a retired World War I army captain who would develop the area into an upscale neighborhood and what it is known as today: Forest Hill.
You may read the rest of the piece here.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

How wonderful, a well-deserved gig indeed!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thank you Lindsay!

Brother Juniper said...

Reading your columns makes me want to live in Waynesboro.

I will miss the Old Virginia Blog - I thought it was the perfect name.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello BJ. Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I hesitated about the name change but the new site will be much more than just a blog and I needed to come up with a name that reflected that. As far as content on the new blog, it will be very similar, but more focused. The "yeoman" reference reflects a number of important aspects: history, traditionalist values and independence - all from a Virginia perspective. Stick with us, I think you'll be pleased.

ropelight said...

So, is this a real job with a paycheck, or do the guys just divvy-up on Friday afternoons?

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Yea, a "real job." ;-) I'm just a freelancer - 2 articles a month. But I believe I'm really going to enjoy it.