27 June 2016

Writing for People "Who Just Get It" About the South

And few do it better than Southern Living writer, Rick Bragg. He's a master and he truly "gets it." I've identified myself as a "Southern Writer" for years and I'm so proud to be able to claim that mantle. I'm no Rick Bragg, but I do "get it."

My wife and I have been SL subscribers for years and Bragg's writing alone makes it worth the subscription price. Another of my favorites is Garden & Gun Magazine. Think of G&G as 
Southern Living with a healthy dose of testosterone.
 
"I've been explaining myself for a long time, and I'm not doin' it anymore." ~ Rick Bragg

I hear you brother, I hear you.

Investing 3 minutes to watch Bragg's remarks here is worth your time, in my opinion; especially if you need some help "gettin' it." And trust me, a number of my readers do.
(Here's the link if the video does not load.)


2 comments:

Jubilo said...

Dear Old Dom.,

Enjoyable video. Much of what he's speaks of is of course just "American," and not regional and sweet tea is a substandard beverage.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello ol' Jub -

"Much of what he's speaks of is of course just "American," and not regional"

Yes, I agree, though I would maintain the sentiments expressed by Bragg seem to be more prevalent and more deeply rooted below the Mason Dixon.

"sweet tea is a substandard beverage."

Blasphemy, Sir, blasphemy!