24 November 2016

Recent Relic Recoveries - Happy Thanksgiving



Tomorrow I will spend most of the day cleaning, cataloguing, organizing and displaying many of my relic finds from this year. Here's my haul from 2 recent digs here in Virginia. The items in the first photo were dug in and around the Confederate trenches at Petersburg (on private property of course) during an organized hunt. Several minie balls, one piece of iron grape shot, a shell fragment and a poncho grommet. I also dug what I believe to be an ornate part of a camp stove right in the bottom of one of the trenches. It's taking an apple cider vinegar bath right now. I'll post the results later. The 2nd image is from an all day solo hunt last week on a battlefield here in the Shenandoah Valley - again on private property. Lots of .69's, a Confederate Gardner, shell frags and sabot frags as well, along with a period rivet. Not a bad November thus far. Video to come later. Ah, the life of a relic hunter . . . Happy Thanksgiving! God is good to us, isn't He?

5 comments:

Bob Miller said...

one piece of iron grape shot . . .
I know it is "academic", but I have always "assumed" that bona fide "grape shot" (typically used by the navy to tear down the rigging on another ship) was not actually used during land battles . . .?
Your thoughts?
Thanks!

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Bob. "Canister" shot would probably be the correct term. Thanks for pointing that out.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Not the ultimate authority, but . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canister_shot

Bob Miller said...

But just to "muddy the waters", I do remember reading somewhere that grape actually was found in the vicinity of the southern end of where Pickett's division started from at Gettysburg for "Longstreet's Assault" (aka Pickett's Charge).
Sadly, I did not 'document' where I read that info so, alas, I can only offer it as 'hearsay' . . .
Bob

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Thanks Bob.