26 December 2016

The Winter Patriots



A notice about this film came across my news feed this morning. The timing was, in several ways, quite providential. Of course, it's Christmas time and one of the central events portrayed in the video occurs on Christmas night - Washington's crossing of the Delaware. The timing was providential in another way as well. Though I'm sure some will scoff, I was immediately struck by some of the themes and how they paralleled the recent Presidential election.

"The rebellion seemed doomed. Washington's army, the Americans - the United States - needed a miracle."

Indeed, Washington's army received their miracle in the waning days of 1776; as did we 240 years later in the waning days of 2016.

The  27 minute film produced by Mount Vernon, is very well done and worth the time it takes to watch it.

The film also reminds me that there is a new and "good spirit" of hope in America. I'm looking forward to 2017 with optimism. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

3 comments:

Eddie said...

Thanks for posting this.

Mark Snell said...

Terrific historical short. I wish it had been available when I taught the US Military History course. I do not see the modern-day historical parallels that you do, but who cares. Here's a US Army officers' recruiting commercial from 2009 that begins with Washington's Crossing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFkGsT8SmE

Happy New Year Richard. Did Kent State Press send you a review copy of my latest book? If not, go to their website and request one.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Mark! Good to hear from you. On the parallels, I honestly wasn't "looking" for any, but they kinda jumped out at me. I guess my subconscious was at work. ;-)

Yes, the video really was well done. The preservationist efforts/history of Mount Vernon are quite fascinating and inspiring. No government funding. Amazing and heroic ladies.

And Happy New Year to you. No, I've not received a copy, but I'll request one ASAP. Thanks for the link.