12 January 2017

Peter Thiel Backs Secession


Important update: Peter Thiel is reportedly considering a run for Governor of California. And the Politico story did not fail to mention Thiel's position on California secession:
Adding fuel to the speculation: Thiel raised eyebrows this week when he granted a rare interview to the New York Times’ Maureen Dowd. In the interview, he outlined his political worldview and explained his support for Trump.(At one point, Thiel said, perhaps jokingly, that he’d be “fine” with California seceding. “I think it would be good for California, good for the rest of the country. It would help Mr. Trump’s re-election campaign,” he added.) 
"Perhaps jokingly"? Perhaps not.

Story here.

End of update.

Entrepreneur and PayPal founder (and Trump supporter), Peter Thiel, is all "in" for California to go all "out" - out of the Union, that is. A recent "Confirm or Deny" interview with Maureen Dowd in the New York Times revealed this exchange:
Maureen Dowd: California should secede.
Peter Thiel: Confirm. I’d be fine with that. I think it would be good for California, good for the rest of the country. It would help Mr. Trump’s re-election campaign.
I'm not so sure secession would be "good for California" though I am more inclined to accept Thiel's opinion that it would be "good for the rest of the country." Beyond that, this is interesting on a number of levels. For one, Thiel is certainly no "neo-Confederate" as he hails originally from Germany and is considered a Silicon Valley titan. And, of course, California was not part of the old Confederacy. But, at least in the near-term, the likelihood of California seceding from the Union is highly unlikely, barring some unforeseen event. However, in the long-term, I would not rule it out. Let world history be your guide.

6 comments:

Jubilo said...

Dear Old Dom.,

Lose our Pacific coast and Pacific Rim presence ? Probably not good for national security. I know, we already have a Disney World in Florida but still...

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

I don't know, you'd have to weigh that against what the state brings us in terms of a net negative. I think it would make for a great experiment in governance to see if they could really make all their idiocy work alone.

Happy New Year!

Jorge Maspons said...

I agree with you. But speaking of secession I remember not too long ago how we celebrated at the fall of Communism and freedom for the Eastern European nations. (still waiting for Cuba) I know this is not exactly the same situation but many speak of freedom and in 1861 is was denied to the Southern states. In recent years it was suggested here that Texas and Louisiana unite and brake off we have most of the oil and gas, of course, it did not get any wheres.
Today it would be impossible although it is not illegal. Catalonia (where my family comes from) has been trying to become independent from Spain but it will not happen, they have too much corruption and they don't have the votes. I think here we will continue to salute the Stars and Stripas
Feliz and Prospero Ano Nuevo
Jorge Maspons

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello Jorge! Thanks for commenting. Happy New Year to you and your family. Come see me some time.

Brian Lee said...

If California wanted out of the US, I'd say, "Don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out."

My two major concerns would be - 1) The significant US military presence in California; and 2) the economic impact of losing CA. Neither of those concerns are, in my opinion, insurmountable, but I would want to know how they'd be dealt with in the event CA seceding becomes a realistic possibility.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Brian - my sentiments as well. The recent election revealed how out of step California is with the rest of the country. I don't think the military issue is a big deal in that we have plenty of other bases where assets could be relocated to. Besides, I'm sure California would remain our ally. ☺