20 March 2017

New to My Nightstand


As I recently learned that the movie, The Lost City of Z, is being released in theaters this coming Friday, I decided to purchase the book upon which the movie is based. The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon is, without question, one of those, "I have to at least finish this chapter before stopping" kinda book. Once started, I truly did not want to put it down. The book combines a number of things that fascinate me: Victorian England, history, exploration, mystery, archeology, adventure and treasure. Think of this story as a real life Indiana Jones tale. The story centers around the efforts of British explorer Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett to locate a mysterious lost city in the Amazon jungle.

He was the last of the great Victorian explorers who ventured into uncharted realms with little more than a machete, a compass, and an almost divine sense of purpose.
 I'm loving the book and, based on early reviews, I'm sure I'll love the film as well.

2 comments:

Jubilo said...

Dear Old Dom.,

I read the books ages ago and was incredibly impressed by Fawcett and the terrors of the Amazon. Film looks to be a tad PC.

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Hello David. Yes, it's an amazing story. I didn't pick up the PC aspect in the trailers but, alas . . .